It's time to update your address. You know you need to notify the phone company and utilities, but did you know there are several more places that will need to know you've moved?
Follow these links to easily update your address information.
California Department of Motor Vehicles:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/formsdl_alpha.htm Choose Change of Address (DMV14)
Post Office Change of Address:
...and don't forget the IRS
Including the IRS in your change of address notifications after a move is vital to ensure you continue to receive refunds or correspondence from the IRS.
How to file a change of address:
* Correct the address legibly on the mailing label that comes with your tax package.
* Write the new address in the appropriate boxes on your tax return,
* Use Form 8822, Change of Address, to submit an address or name change any time during the year.
* Give the IRS written notification of your new address by writing to the IRS center where you file your return. Include your full name, old and new addresses, Social Security Number and signature. If you filed a joint return, be sure to include the information for both taxpayers. If you filed a joint return and have since established separate residences, both taxpayers should notify the IRS of your new addresses.
Other important notifications:
* Your Employer - Be sure to also notify your employer of your new address so you get your W-2 forms on time.
* Postal Service – While the IRS does use the Postal Service’s change of address files to update taxpayer addresses, the IRS should still be notified directly.
* The IRS - If you make estimated tax payments throughout the year, you should mail a completed Form 8822, Change of Address, or write the IRS campus where you file your return. You may continue to use your old pre-printed payment vouchers until the IRS sends you new ones with your new address. However, do not correct the address on the old voucher.
Visit www.IRS.gov for more information about changing your address. At IRS.gov, you can also find the address of the IRS center where you file your tax return or download Form 8822, Change of Address. The form is also available by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).
* Tax Topic 157, Change of Address — How to Notify IRS http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc157.html